Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dreaming...

The other night, right before bed, Nick casually mentions that he's already gotten my present for once I pass my exams. I was a bit confused. I expected that we might go out to dinner to celebrate...and that's about it. I clarified with him that he knew that passing my exams did not mean I was done with my Ph.D. He did, but apparently he thinks I deserve a gift. I am not going to argue with him on that one.

So, I started dreaming of what this gift might be. I start rattling off some guesses before he stops me and says he wished I'd told him these ideas before he bought the present.

But let me tell you, Nick is very smart and knows me so well. The best things he's gotten for me have been complete surprises. Take one of my Christmas 2006 presents. He got me a kitten! Then there was the surprise trip to Hawaii where he also happened to propose to me. Or the fact that he planned our honeymoon and kept our destination a secret until our wedding day. Basically, Nick is amazing at surprises. It's one of his many talents.

Now I can't wait for Dec. 1 for a new reason. Maybe he got me a spa day at Rescue Rittenhouse Spa downtown:
I could definitely go for a massage. Why not throw in a facial (I've never had one...) and a mani/pedi (I've only had two of those)? Droooool.

Or maybe a stay in a fancy hotel, like the Four Seasons:
We could sleep late with no kitties disturbing us, sleep in a giant bed, order room service, and watch TV. TVs suck me in when I'm around them since I don't watch it at all...

Or how about another surprise trip to a warm weather locale, like the Bahamas?
Ooooooohhhhh, I can hardly elaborate how amazing that would be. Now, I would not put it past him to plan such a trip. But now that we have shared finances, I might be a bit perturbed that he spent so much without consulting me. And then I'd quickly forgive him as I fall asleep on the beach.

This is as creative as I've gotten so far. Notice all of these dream gifts center on opportunities for relaxation. All I really want after my exams is to be able to shut my brain off for a good 24 hours. Ok, maybe make it 48. I would do just about anything for a little downtime after all of this chaos. And I'll happily accept whatever gift he actually got for me.

1 comment:

Followers