Friday, February 19, 2010

Bedazzled Pill Sorter



My dear sister Rhiannon has promised to purchase and bedazzle a pill sorter for me. This may be the best thing to come from my disease. I can't wait for it to happen!

But in all seriousness, I did finally get my treatment plan all figured out and filled my last prescription today. I've taken to keeping all of my diabetes-related things in a large travel toiletries bag I have - finger stick supplies, pill bottles, my current insulin pen, and all of the package inserts that come with these things. I'm trying to be organized and methodical because it is so much to keep track of.

I have my system mostly down. In the morning, I do a finger stick first thing and take a baby aspirin. I take my finger stick stuff with me so that I can do a reading in the middle of the day. At night, I give myself my insulin shot and take my two other medications. One is a high blood pressure medication and the other is for cholesterol. It's not that I have high blood pressure or cholesterol, I'm just taking these as a preventative measure. They are both bedtime pills because of certain side effects.

I'm also trying to keep a journal that records everything that goes into my body everyday (pills included), at what time, and what my blood sugar readings are. Hopefully this way I'll start to see patterns with certain foods. I met with a dietitian this week, so I'm starting to better regulate my eating habits. Best part? I need to eat six times a day. Worst part? Remembering to make my portions accordingly smaller at meal times. I can eat almost anything, I just have to keep careful track of the carbohydrates. We're going to a party this weekend at Dave and Buster's that includes some sort of buffet. Hopefully I can keep track of whatever finds its way into my mouth. I could really stand to improve my self-control :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers