Saturday, February 27, 2010

Another post about food


I've tried to be upbeat and positive about my new dietary needs, but I have to admit this: it's really, really hard.

I read many, many food blogs and Nick and I love to cook and eat, so I've set myself up to be saturated with food and images of food probably more often than I should. On weekends, we spend a lot of time discussing what to make for breakfast and this inevitably leads to a search online or through our cookbooks. This morning I found it difficult to turn away from some of these recipes, even some that have nothing to do with breakfast. What you see above is a photo resembling Smitten Kitchen's Chocolate Toffee cookies, which quite frankly sound like the best thing on earth.

This is by far the worst part of my disease. Sure, I could make these and eat 1 a day, carefully counting all of the carbs in this and everything else I eat that day to make sure I'm not going to make my blood sugar spike. But then they'd be staring me in the face, or Nick would get to eat them in front of me. Who has the willpower to have such delicious things in front of them and back away? I either have to have that willpower or not make such things in the first place.

What are we having for breakfast today? A spinach and bacon omelette, very light on the bacon. I'm sure it will be delicious, but so would baked French toast or coffee cake or a bagel. Perhaps I shouldn't be doing any public whining about this and instead just be thankful that I can keep myself healthy. I'm just not looking forward to a future of tiny bites of life's indulgences.

3 comments:

  1. :(
    you have every right to whine, complain, air your frustrations. it cannot be easy, jasmine, and so far i think you're doing such a commendable job of adjusting your life and your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it isn't easy. I just don't like to complain too much. It doesn't change things and most of the time doesn't even make me feel better. I'm just a little frustrated right now, but am really enjoying this raspberry sorbet I'm eating. I just made room in my lunchtime carbs to indulge a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I discovered that I'd become gluten intolerant. And there were MONTHS of grief I had to go through to get to the acceptance stage I'm at now. So it's perfectly ok to complain all you like!

    ReplyDelete

Followers