Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Why oh why?

Diabetes and I are not on the best terms lately.  My numbers have been running higher than I like, and I've been attributing it to the hot, hot heat we've been having.  When it's constantly in the mid-90s, I do more staying inside and less walking, even though there is no air-conditioned relief.

I have another theory as well.  Sometimes when I'm pinching my skin for my injection, I've noticed some of my insulin leaking out.  This happens mostly when I do injections into my leg.  I also happen to bleed quite a bit with injections, probably 50% of the time.  I imagine that some insulin tags along with these bleeders.  I really don't know what to do to improve this.

And then there was today.  This morning I ate a very typical breakfast.  I started out a little lower than usual at 97 and I gave myself the same dose I do every day.  This leg shot bled just a little bit.

Fast forward four hours to lunch, and I did my pre-lunch test.  I big ol' 237 flashed up at me.  Thinking this was impossible, I retested and was greeted with a 265.

Why??  How did this breakfast treat me so badly?  Did the insulin  just not do its job?  What is going on?

Now I'm groggy and a bit perplexed, wondering why what I did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before ad infinitum didn't work today.

Most days diabetes is frustrating.  Today it's infuriating, and making me want a nap in the middle of my work day.  I wish I had a Diet Coke.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers