Monday, August 6, 2012

A hot, but fun(!), weekend

Someone, please tell me where the summer is going?  It's already August 6?  Does it make me an old person if I continually lament the swift passing of time?  I think so.

Anyhow, more staying busy, but also plenty of having fun is going on.  This weekend saw a couple of cool outings.  I LOVE doing things that are normally closed to the public or that I've never done before, so it was a good weekend for that.  

Currently, the Castel Sant'Angelo is open at night!  I've been here during the day.....3 or 4 times?  But never by night.  Even better?  They had a couple of parts of the fortress/mausoleum open that normally are closed. Win!

Holy moly, Rome, you are beautiful.

The parts we got to see that are normally closed were the prisons, the stufetta of Clement VII (aka, the Pope's highly decorated bathroom....and by bathroom I mean room with a toilet only), and the Passetto del Borgo.  This is the famous passageway that runs between the Vatican Palace and the papal fortress.  If you aren't a Roman history buff, you may have heard of this thing by reading or watching Angels and Demons.  
A view of St. Peter's dome and the Vatican Palace from the Passetto.  It was AWESOME.

On Sunday, Nick and I took a day trip with my friend Emily to Tarquinia.  There was a wine festival going on, which was the bait to draw Nick in.  I've been wanting to go for awhile to see the Etruscan cemetery.  Sadly, the wine festival started long after we had to head back to Rome.  Sometimes the internet is not your friend.

But, the necropolis did not disappoint!  Here, Emily and I are going down into one of the tombs...

Art historians at work

Maybe it was the hot, hot heat or just our nature, but then we got a little silly.  Here, Nick and I are recreating the famous Etruscan sarcophagus of the married couple:

In completely unrelated news, since I regularly write about my health, I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks!  It's time to get some diabetes-related prescriptions refilled.

Also health related is that I am now (FINALLY!!!!) in possession of the proper document to buy into Italy's healthcare system.  If I behave myself and do this before I go to my doctor's appointment, maybe just maybe I'll have some amazing news about returning to the pump.  Or, almost as good, getting my supplies for a significantly discounted rate!  A girl can dream......

Finally, in just a few days, we are off on another mini trip in Italy!  I have a birthday coming up, so we're going to spend the weekend on the south side of the Sorrentine peninsula.  Salerno, Amalfi, and Positano: your time has come.

Even there it will be staggeringly hot, but maybe we'll luck out and have some air conditioning in our hotel.  And once again, a girl can dream......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers