Thursday, July 19, 2012

July check-in

I know it's been a bit quiet around here, but I suppose that's a good thing, right?  We've been staying busy, I've actually been making some progress on my work, and I haven't had any diabetes catastrophes.  Hooray!

Here is some of what we've been up to.

We went to Venice to see some friends and my advisor

I then went to Florence to see some other friends and professors.....sadly, no pics

We jammed into the Circus Maximus with 100,000 other people to watch the Italy vs. Spain final in the Euro Cup 2012

We climbed a mountain!  The fifth highest peak in the Appenines

See?  Proof!

We took a tour of the pyramid in Rome

And inside the burial chamber

I ate one of the best pizzas of my life at Eataly....and that's saying a lot!  This is a stracciatella di burrata pizza, with the most delicious cheese in the center.  YUMMMMM.

In other news, I am in the process of establishing my residency.  Once that's done, I can buy into the Italian health care system!  This is good news, because people with chronic illnesses are well taken care of here!  I'm not sure if it will mean I get to go back on the pump, but it should reduce my personal expenses for meds and supplies!

I do, in fact, have to go to the doctor soon.  After a couple of months of MDI, I can see the end of my needle tip supply.  I brought a little over 500 with me, but using at least 4 a day means those go faster than I'd like.  I'm not sure what this doctor will want to do, if I'll get my A1c checked or if I'll just get some prescriptions.  We'll see!

Summer is over halfway through, and I must say I'm relieved.  The heat has been relentless, and the summer makes working rather difficult.  I'm so accustomed to that time mostly off (usually I teach, do a little reading, but nothing major) and I haven't been doing that really.  We don't have any major plans for the rest of the summer, but I'm starting to work on my must-see things in Rome.  I only have about 13 months left and there is so much to see and do!  I don't want to miss anything, although I know that's impossible.

And now, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers