But I haven't felt a lot of joy lately. Living in Rome, as lovely as it is, has its own problems. I miss my family and friends. My dissertation often feels like an iron weight around my neck. Money is tight. And diabetes has been really rather unfriendly lately. I've been disheartened. But today, a saw a bright side. I found a silver lining :)
![]() |
| The Via Appia Antica |
Today I did something that I have been working towards for months, and that I should have done months ago. This morning, I got my tessera sanitaria: my health care card. And it was the easiest thing I have ever done in Italy, which I assure you, lives up to its bureaucratic stereotype.
Three months ago, I went through the horrifying process of establishing residency. I never wrote about the experience here, but it was awful. Hours and hours of waiting in lines, only to be told different things by different people. It really made me gun shy about applying for my tessera sanitaria.
But I really, truly am reaching the end of my supplies here. I am almost out of my Lantus, and I've already had to buy two boxes of needle tips (clocking in at about $0.35 each needle tip, or $1.40 for an average day's use).
![]() |
| The Roman Forum |
I mustered up the fortitude (and the photocopies in triplicate of everything I thought I might need), and I went to the appropriate office today.
And it took less than 5 minutes. And I didn't pay a penny. Or, since I'm in Italy, a centesimo.
![]() |
| An angel on the Ponte Sant'Angelo |
I now have the document I need to go see a doctor. He can then recommend me to a diabetes specialist. Or, I can just deal with him and ask him for the proper prescriptions.
And in Italy, if you have a chronic condition, your supplies are free. That's why the needle tips cost me so much, but soon they will be free. They actually prioritize preventative measures for people like me. And they don't see it as my burden to pay for these things which will keep me alive.
When I went to the doctor in August, she told me even insulin pump supplies would be free.
Of course, I'm not there yet. I have to make the appointment. There are a few more steps.
But right now, I feel hope. And true joy, unlike what I've felt in months.
![]() |
| A little crazy-eyed, but a good idea of how I'm feeling right now |
So I am going to celebrate today, and make an appointment with my new doctor. Hopefully I will be reunited with my beloved insulin pump soon, and maybe things might be a bit better diabetically speaking. And that brings me so much joy.




SO SO SO SO SOSOSOSOSOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!
ReplyDeleteYes! Congratulations! That is a huge and intimidating step that is out of your way now!
ReplyDelete