Monday, May 6, 2013

The saga continues...

Let's start with the positives:  I have my insulin pump back!!  I'm wearing it right now!!  I even have a sensor!!!

Also, I am really, really looking forward to returning to the calm and familiarity of American medical offices.

So how did this come about?  After an appointment with my doctor friend at the end of March, to renew my therapeutic plan, but I had come with a bee in my bonnet about my insulin pump.  He had told me we'd get there, and I wanted to be there.  Now-ish.  Since he had very little experience with this sort of therapy, he wanted to get in touch with another doctor who could help us.  She couldn't be reached that day, but don't worry, he said, I'll call you back when I get ahold of her.

Fast forward three weeks, and my appointment with this other doctor arrived.  But before seeing her, I was introduced to a young, friendly man in a suit.  We made some short conversation before I inquired as to who he was exactly.  He was a Medtronic representative!!!!!!!  And he had SUPPLIES with him.  Lots of different kinds!

Lake Bracciano from the Castle Odescalchi (btw, this is where TomKat got married)
I had brought all of my remaining pump supplies with me, including my sensor stuff.  As the doctors were entering my pump information into my insulin therapy plan, the Medtronic rep started filling in my information in their company's forms.  After a few minutes, he tells me he brought 15 days worth of pump supplies for me, and he asks me if I want to wear a sensor today.  I was amazed and shocked, and said of course!

Even better, because this is Italy, it was the Enlite Sensor.  This meant a smaller surface area, an easier inserter, more accurate readings, and a shorter needle.  It was virtually pain free.

I was instructed on how to acquire my supplies (go to the Health Office, drop off a form, return to Health Office when they say your order is ready), and I was absolutely over the moon.  This was completely unexpected!

Of course, because this is Italy, something didn't go quite right.  My doctor friend's boss, the head doctor at his practice, wasn't at the office.  This meant he couldn't use the necessary stamp for the health office to take my form.  I'd have to come back next week.

The lovely view of Rome from the Villa Medici
And so I waited for his call....nearly a week later, I was finally allowed to come back and get the form.  I was going to head to the health office the following Friday morning because of its weirdo hours.

But it was all for naught.  This special type of form was unlike those I had seen before.  They informed me that it required going to a DIFFERENT health office not too far away.  But unfortunately, I wasn't familiar enough with the area so I couldn't make the trek without a map.

Fast forward to today.  After a weekend of being sick and stuck in bed (a story for another blog post....), I headed out this afternoon to go to this new health office.  I found it, took my number, and waited.  When it was my turn, I explained why I was there.  The woman behind the desk asked for my identity card.  I told her I didn't have one, but I could show her my permit to be in Italy or my passport.  But she wanted something that proved I live where I say I do.

And so, I will return Wednesday morning with my residency certificate in hand.  And the other form.  And any other form I can think of so this will be my last trip to that office.  She told me that my order was straightforward, and once the form was processed, I should get my supplies in a week's time.

In 9 days, I will have a 3 month supply of reservoirs, infusion sets, the Enlite sensor system, some tape, and 10 batteries, courtesy of the Italian health care system.  And I am thrilled!  My transition back to the pump has been mostly smooth, although I still have some ratios and basal rates to smooth out.  But still, I am in a really good place, and I am so grateful for the help I've gotten along the way amidst the insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers