Monday, January 6, 2014

18 Weeks

I nearly got a post finished for 17 week, but never managed to get a photo....oh well.  Let's recommence with 18 weeks!

How big is baby: Size of a bell pepper.  Not too shabby!

Weight gain: Somewhere between 5 and 10 lbs so far.  I held steady at 5 for a few weeks, but I'm starting to notice more weight gain, slowly but surely.

Sleep: I'm not sleeping super well.  I've never been a very good sleeper, but it's worse than normal.  Lots of things on my mind these days, lots of CGM alarms all night, a lovey cat who likes to nuzzle my face in the middle of the night, and increasing issues with rolling over have me awake several times a night.  And then there's the trip(s) to the bathroom, of course....

Diet/Cravings/Aversions: I'm definitely hungry a lot.  I've amped it up to two snacks a day, and I've tried having slightly smaller meals to compensate and try not to have too many calories.

Exercise: I'm getting more activity in, like cleaning off snowy cars, a bit of shoveling, and a lot of walking at our trip to Longwood Gardens on Saturday to see their Christmas displays.  Love that place!



Movement: I've felt the bambino a few times now, but it isn't consistent.  Looking forward to it being more frequent!  I'm sure that it won't be long before I'm wishing it would keep its elbows to itself :)

Belly: I am just about to the point where it is clear I haven't just been eating big meals lately!  There is a definite bump, and yesterday was the first time I wore my normal jeans with the button undone.  I have a feeling I won't be wearing those pants for much longer...



Symptoms: I'm still pretty tired and get worn out far too easily. I've started having quite a bit of round ligament pain in the last week.  It happens if I cough or move to quickly, roll over in bed, or do too much involving my abdominal muscles.  But it really hasn't been too terrible.

Diabetes: After a week of eating while being gone for Christmas, things have smoothed out a bit with some stickier highs I'd been having.  I definitely haven't hit insulin resistance yet, and have been trying to get in more activity to try to ward it off.  My normal CGM sites are starting to look a bit rough, so I've stuck it in my leg this week.  I couldn't believe how little pain I had on insertion there, and so far it hasn't been too annoying.  I stay home most of the time, and the weird bulge in my yoga pants is no big deal.  I'm starting to think of more questions to discuss with my OB regarding delivery and my hospital stay specific to my diabetes care, so I'm looking forward to getting some feedback on those things.  At the office I'm going to, it's pretty standard procedure to induce diabetic mommies in the 39th week.  If that is what is absolutely best for the baby, I will definitely be on board, but I've started letting them know that it isn't my preference at this point.  I plan to keep talking about it with them in the next months.

We only have two weeks until our intensive ultrasound, where they'll do all of the measuring of organs and making sure growth is on target.  That's when we plan to find out whether we'll have a bambino or a bambina.  I've had three baby dreams, and every time it's a boy.  We'll find out soon if it's been sending me secret messages or if I terrible maternal instincts :)

Hoping to keep feeling as good as I do while I work my tail off in the next few weeks with my work.  I've got good motivation to get this dissertation done, but the actual doing it is difficult and daunting.  I will get there, and I'll be glad for my degree in May and a baby not too long after!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers