Friday, January 24, 2014

20 weeks, halfway there!

At this point I'm closer to 21 than 20 weeks, but so it goes :)  I'm deep in the writing of my dissertation, so when I surface for air is anybody's guess!

How big is baby: Banana!  Quite impressive, little one!

Weight gain: At my 19 week appointment, I determined that I've gained about 7 pounds so far, and doctor's suggest about 1 per week for the rest of the pregnancy.  I don't anticipate that happening, mostly due to my diet.  It's funny, diabetes makes me much more careful what I put in my mouth, especially right now, but it's also because of diabetes that I'm hesitant to put on more weight than necessary.  Losing it does not sound  like fun to me.

Sleep: My sleep has improved a bit!  I'm still going to bed early every night (I rarely see anything past 10 pm these days), but I'm also noticing that it's getting a bit more uncomfortable to find the right position, to resettle into something comfortable, etc.  We have a new strategy keeping nuzzling kitties at bay, and my sensor has been pretty nice to me lately.

Diet/Cravings/Aversions: Yep, I'm hungry.  My diet is pretty consistent, especially in terms of snacks: peanut butter toast, apples, popcorn, sometimes a fruit smoothie in the afternoon.  I'm not having any real cravings, or if I do it's for things that I'm absolutely not going to eat and so they leave my mind pretty quickly.  No aversions to speak of at this point, although I find myself getting tired of leftovers faster than usual.

Exercise: Does typing count?  I spend so many hours a day in my desk chair writing, writing, writing.  I should be getting more, and I'm trying to spend at least one of my pomodoro breaks going outside.  That's not really exercise, but it's the best I've got right now.

Movement: More and more!  I have a friend who's daughter-in-law is only two days behind me in her pregnancy, and she says that other people have already felt that baby!  I don't know if it's where the baby is positioned in my body, or that perhaps I have more stomach fluff between baby and the outside world than others that makes this not so for us yet, but I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that Nick can start to feel movement soon.

Belly: Two photos this week!  First at 19 weeks and second at 20:



So much depends on what clothes I'm wearing!  And, I have started wearing maternity clothes more, but still in my own jeans without being able to button them properly.  I need to go buy a pair this weekend that fits more properly.  Those maternity pants I do have are too big, and I spend the day hiking them up....not working for me at this point

Sidenote: can we talk about the craziness of my hair?  I got my hair cut the day that the first photo was taken, and so my stylist in all her splendor gave me an amazing blow out.  And then, the curls.  They just won't cooperate or quit.  Please, please, please, let our baby not have my hair.  I wouldn't want to saddle anyone with this.

Symptoms: Eh?  Nothing much to speak of here.  Still tired, but that's due to a lot of things.  Also, I suppose I'm rather hormonal, tearing up at things that wouldn't make regular Jasmine do anything more than smile.

Diabetes: I still have it :)  But things have been going pretty well.  I had a day where I started to think insulin resistance was coming, and then some sneaky lows proved me wrong.  Things have been quite consistent and my doctor hasn't suggested any changes to pump settings in the last couple of weeks.  I've decided the one benefit of having diabetes is the fact that I get to see the baby so often.  I don't know how people deal with only getting one ultrasound.  I've had four already and have three more scheduled over the next couple of months, and I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak another one in there!

We had our anatomy scan, aka the long ultrasound on Tuesday, and everything is measuring just as it should be.  No signs of spinal, heart, or brain issues, all of the other organs look good, and it's weighing right on target.  Despite its initial modesty, we finally got to determine what sort of baby we've got in there: IT'S A GIRL!!!  I had been thinking for most of this pregnancy that it was a boy, but started having doubts a couple of weeks ago.  Still, I didn't have any strong feelings going into that ultrasound about the sex.  And we are thrilled.  Every time I think about her (her! my daughter!!), I can't stop smiling, and I pretty much lose my mind when Nick refer to the baby with that feminine pronoun.

We got a really perfect photo of her little profile, and her mouth is wide open in it.  This convinces me that she is already singing in the womb (Nick and I are both singers, met in choir, still sing regularly).  Baby Center tells me we're only 135 days from the due date, and I just can't wait to meet her.  Now we have to figure out what on earth to name her!

1 comment:

  1. So exiciting, Jasmine. And I would like to note that I've always loved your curly hair! Its sooooo beautiful, just like you! Congrats, again!

    ReplyDelete

Followers