Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ben and Baseball

Thursday night saw the arrival of our last overnight guest for this summer, Nick's good friend Ben. Nick and Ben have been friends since elementary school and were even roommates for a year in Denver. Ben planned his first trip to visit us in Philly around the Phillies/Cardinals series that happened this weekend. It was a busy, baseball centered trip!

Here are Ben and Nick in our great seats on Friday night (notice the overhang):
Here's a view from our seats:
Pretty nice! This was Matt Holliday's first game as a Cardinal (traded from the A's, although I saw him play several games as a Rocky in Colorado), so it was quite exciting. The Cardinals ended up trouncing the Phils that night, 8-1, but not before a 45 minute rain delay. Here's a shot of the dark clouds while the game was still going on:
It's only 7:30 in this picture! We should have the sun in our faces! We started seeing lightning 10 or 15 minutes before it started pouring. Fortunately, Nick and I got to stay in our seats because of the lovely overhang, although we did get a little wet. The wind became really strong and I was glad I brought my sweater.
Scary storm! Fortunately it didn't last too long. Here are two shots in the middle of the storm. Dark, dark sky, lots of rain, and a cleared out stadium.

The Cardinals had a rough time of it the next two games. Nick and Ben met up with some of Ben's friends for the Saturday game and tailgated beforehand. I spent Saturday working on various things. On Sunday, Ben went to the game with a few of his friends while Nick and I ran errands and relaxed a bit before we barbecued with Ben that night. He went back to Denver yesterday.

In other news, I think I've reached the turning point in my exam preparation where I realize that I must get lots of work done every day and really that's all I can do. My exams are three and a half months out, which is not a lot of time to learn everything I need to learn, but I'm ready to try. I must stay on track in my degree program. I refuse to take more time so I have to take them in November. It will be tough, but I'm figuring out my gameplan and building myself something of a support system. I can do it! Someday in the future I'll write a post explaining my exams in a bit more detail. Just know that they are the last big hoop to jump through before writing my dissertation, the last hoop of my graduate career. It'll be over before I know it.

1 comment:

Followers