Yesterday I started teaching my summer class at Temple. It was a hectic day, mainly because I had so little time to prep my class. I didn't even have all of the readings settled on until about 11:30 am yesterday. Class was at 1:00 pm. Fortunately I taught this class last summer, and although I've redone it a bit, it definitely helped that I had notes and slideshows from last year ready to go since I didn't have time to put together anything new. It's been a stressful and busy summer :)
This class is one of my favorites to teach, for obvious reasons. It's one I designed myself - the assignments, the readings, discussions, lectures, and presentations. Also, it covers my favorite stuff! It's titled From Divine to Decadent: Rome 1500-1700. Why yes, it does perfectly cover my major exam field (Art in Italy, 1563-1667) and then some. Rome is my favorite city in the world. I've visited a fair amount of cities in several countries (12, I think?) and nothing comes even close to Rome.
So, I've decided to share some pictures from my last trip to Rome, in late March/early April of 2008, of things that will be covered in my class. I have more photos of things from the latter half of my class. I think that has to do with my interests and what I was able to take photos of. Some photos are better than others. I highly discourage flash photography of paintings and sometimes other things, so I don't practice that myself.
Palazzo Barberini, designed by Gianlorenzo Bernini, Francesco Borromini, and Pietro da Cortona, dating to the 1620s. It now holds part of the collection of the national galleries of Rome.
The facade and lantern of Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza, designed by Francesco Borromini, dating to the 1630s and 1640s.
The interior of the dome of San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane, also by Borromini. He's astounding, no?
The Campidoglio, designed by Michelangelo in the 1550s, not completely finished until the nineteenth century.
St. Peter's and its piazza, a variety of architects over 150 years.
Looking up into the dome of St. Peter's (designed by Michelangelo), up the arm of the Baldacchino, by Bernini in the 1620s.
St. Cecilia, from Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, by Stefano Maderno around 1600. One of my favorite sculptures.
The Ecstasy of St. Teresa in Santa Maria della Vittoria by Bernini, 1630s
The Cerasi Chapel in Santa Maria del Popolo, with paintings by Caravaggio and Annibale Carracci, dating to c. 1600
The Blessed Ludovica Albertoni in San Francesco a Ripa, by Bernini, dating to the 1640s.
Even if this class is a lot of work (twice a week for 3.5 hours each meeting), at least I get to look at some of my favorite monuments! I'm also really glad to be on this schedule rather than the one from the first half of the summer. It seemed like I hardly saw Nick in May and June. Now we're home in the evenings together, and that makes me very happy! This class will be over on August 12 (an auspicious day) and then I'll be "free" until August 31 when classes start again (both teaching and taking).
Finally, your loves have returned to you!
ReplyDelete