Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rollercoaster

Yesterday was exactly that. After my blog post, the day dragged on with me being exhausted and hungry, and just went downhill from there.

My basal assessment failed at 3 pm when I went low. This means I try the basal assessment again on Friday. It has to be a day when I can be at home, when I can down mug after mug of hot tea and accept that I just can't get much work done.

But back to the roller coaster. My range of blood sugars yesterday was like nothing I've ever seen. I tested 11 times yesterday, more than ever, because things were so haywire. I also wasted at least one strip with too little blood (I HATE that).

How about a visual? I think this will demonstrate what happened, and my frustrations:

That first number is at 6:40 am. The last is at about 9:15 pm. In a dream world, those numbers stay between 70 and 120. Usually I don't mind too much as long as it's under 140.

I haven't seen numbers this high since diagnosis. The flatter the line, the better. This is the exact opposite of flat. I realize that I'm not fully disclosing, giving my food and what I programmed into my pump, but trust me, these numbers don't make sense.

The only thing I can guess is that there is some issue with the absorption at this site? Since I am still a pump newbie, there is no way there is scar tissue there. All seems normal. The only somewhat strange thing is that it hurt a bit right after insertion, but became less uncomfortable after a little while. It obviously is not dead and is absorbing some, but it seems so delayed compared to normal. There's no way that I all of a sudden became a failure at carb counting. I'm usually pretty decent at it.

Let's look at one excerpt. That highest number is from right before my dinner of a grilled cheese sandwich (Nick made a loaf of bread yesterday, yummmmmmm) and tomato basil soup. I bolused for 65 carbs. One hour after dinner, it was at 156. Two hours after dinner it was 185. And three hours after dinner, 235. This makes no sense. Or does it? Am I missing something?

Pumpers, HELP! Of course I'm talking with my CDE about this, but does anyone out there have any insight?

I'm trying not to be too frustrated by this. Even though my numbers have been a bit strange today too, I'm trying to remember that this is only one (two?) day(s) in the grand scheme of this disease. All will be well. Still, I'd really like to know what on earth is going on??

1 comment:

Followers