Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mamma mia....

I'm in something of a quandary.....I have so much to blog about these days but so little time to do so!  It's true.  I'm managing to work, have fun, and then when I come home I just want to relax rather than write.  But, I am going to do my best to cover the last week or so here...albeit without any pretty pictures.  Nick sort of commandeers the camera now and puts the photos on his computer.  Then, when I find the time, I upload some to facebook.  After that, sometimes they appear here.  Sometimes they don't :)


  • Spain was so wonderful!!!  This is what I hope to show you some pictures of in the very near future.  We spent a lot of time on a bus traveling through the Basque region.  It was breathtakingly beautiful.  We stayed in Zarautz, a beach town with lots of surfers, and then sang in Pamplona, Borja, and Tolosa.  From the bus, we also saw Bilbao (although sadly we could not see the Guggenheim from the highway) and San Sebastian.  I loved getting to go to some cities that I might not otherwise have the opportunity to visit and we had such a wonderful time with our choir friends!  Check out Nick's "Spain Week" on justvasgo.blogspot.com for some pictures and his take on our experience.  I did learn something very interesting though.  All Spanish rest stops sell whole legs of Iberico ham.  Interesting, no?
  • We found an apartment!!  We looked at a few this go around, and while this is not the nicest nor largest, it is well connected and is actually in our price range.  It is larger than a studio and has been completely restructured with brand new appliances, bathroom, and furniture, although that last part has yet to be delivered....We did look at one that was SO beautiful, but it would have made our financial situation just too tight.  We have to make sacrifices, and maybe it will get us out of the house more!
  • Let's talk about diabetes for the next few bullet points, ok?
    • First, I've been doing a few things for Diabetes Awareness month!  I just finished my postcard for the World Diabetes Day Postcard Exchange!  Sadly, I am severely lacking in creativity, so I let Rome do the talking.  I'll post a picture of it on November 14, World Diabetes Day.
    • Also, I've been updating my facebook status occasionally with diabetes myth dispelling!  Let's hope I'm reaching some of my friends.
    • Yesterday was also the 7th annual D-Blog Day.  I, unfortunately, failed to make a scrapbook page....but I do want to blog about the topic as soon as I can.  The topic this year is writing about why you find the Diabetes Online Community important.  I have some thoughts on this, so I'll save it for later.
    • I've been having some wacky blood sugar numbers lately.  They were atrocious in Spain.  I've never seen that many 300 + numbers since I was diagnosed!  And maybe what's so frustrating is that I can't really pinpoint why.  I had (and still do) a bit of a cold, I wasn't walking as much, I was eating more food, perhaps my carb counting was off, or maybe it was all of these things. Or maybe I'm finally reaching the end of my honeymoon phase and I need to up my basal and bolus rates.  I'm a bit frustrated because I just don't know what to try.  I think I'll wait until this cold is gone and then start testing and tweaking.
    • This final point on diabetes also deserves a blog post of its own, but I'll do a bit of a teaser here.  I finally told someone in our choir (directly.....I'm facebook friends with many of them, I eat meals with them, so perhaps they've noticed me testing and bolusing?) that I have diabetes. He has been so friendly to Nick and me since we arrived, he speaks pretty good English, and we found out recently he's a doctor.  So, perfect person to tell.  He asked if I would have some tiramisu after rehearsal (it was someone's birthday), and with a small cream puff in hand, I declined.  He asked why, so I told him.  His eyes lit up.  He said, "You know that I'm a doctor, right?"  And I said, "Yes, an internist."  He said, "But really I specialize in diabetes.  I wrote my thesis on LADA."  And this is how Nick and I reacted: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So, definitely more on this exchange later.
And now, back to work.  More to come soon.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing news about your Italian Dr. Diabetes! I already like him! Love to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Followers