I've been thinking for quite awhile about writing this blog post. I've been hemming and hawing over this blog post, much like this decision, for a couple of weeks now.
I think that in the very near future, I will likely be taking a semi-permanent pump vacation. How can I think of abandoning my funny purple life partner, you ask? It comes down to simple economics: my supply is running low.
Here in Italy, I currently have one full vial of insulin plus enough for one more reservoir. I also have about 3 weeks worth of pump supplies left, assuming that nothing goes wrong.
I'm also down to only three CGM sensors left. I haven't been wearing my CGM for about a week now as I would rather have the choice to disconnect than to do so because I have no other choice.
Now, in the States, I left a fair amount of supplies behind. I don't know the exact number of insulin vials, infusion sets, reservoirs, sensors and test strips which wait for me there, but I know that they aren't here right now. I'm working on rectifying that, but I'm trying to think everything through as far ahead of time as possible.
Also living here in Rome with me are five pens of Novolog and two pens of Lantus. I really keep these for backup more than anything else, but I've noticed that my two Lantus pens expire in May. I'm not one for wasting precious supplies. Then again, I only have about 100 needle tips with me. That means as long as I don't need any correction doses, I have 25 days worth of supplies.
I have a prescription in the States for needle tips and I could get that filled and shipped to me. I also could behave myself and get myself to a doctor here to write me prescriptions. However, when I asked my doctor friend in choir about getting a script for needle tips, he mentioned that I need a codice fiscale in order to do fill it. I don't have one of those....and getting one while I'm in Italy.....I haven't done any research on how to do so. Eep!
I have been working on getting my supplies over here to me rather than in the States where I no longer live. That will take time, and I'm trying to plan as much ahead as I can. I know that even once I get those supplies from the States, though, that eventually I will run out. And then this question will come up again.
Here, before I write any more in this lengthy blog post, here's a picture of me from this weekend, taking advantage of life on an insulin pump: the spontaneous purchase of two cannolis from this AMAZING Sicilian sweets shop in our new neighborhood:
And I ate my half of both with relish. Figuratively, not literally :)Insulin pump supplies are expensive. More expensive than insulin pens and needle tips. There is the possibility of eventually buying in to the Italian health care system, but I have a feeling they won't cover pump supplies as much as they'll cover pens. My doctor friend from choir who studies diabetes was so surprised to see one that it makes me think they are complete rarities. Of course, I could pay for them out of my pocket, but being a graduate student does not make me very wealthy. We watch our centesimi closely here.
Life on an insulin pump is so much closer to normal than life on shots. Plus there's the whole injecting-myself-with-needles-multiple-times-a-day part that's not so fun. I will be held hostage to a regular eating schedule with no possibility of spontaneous cannoli purchases, unless I'm willing to give another injection. And then, I have to make sure I eat enough to cover the entire unit of insulin, or otherwise I'll go low. No fractions of units on a pen!
Since I don't know exactly when my supplies will get here, I'm starting to toy with the idea of not using up all of my pump supplies AND THEN switching to pens. Because if I do that, I'll be on injections when we go to Paris next month. And TRUST ME, there will be lots of spontaneous purchases of carb-laden delights. I need the flexibility of a pump for that trip. Otherwise, the only memories of that trip will be watching Nick eat macarons, crepes, and baguettes while I pout and try not to drool. I have no desire for it to be like that.
So what will I do? First, I will be doing what I can to get my supplies here ASAP so I can delay this inevitable decision. But I know I'll have to figure it out eventually. Do I prioritize my money or living as normal a life as possible? Would I rather be poorer and eat food as I wish and as I've done so for the last 14 months or do I take care of my bank account first?
Decisions, decisions. I thought I had my mind made up, but after writing this I am not so sure anymore. I spend an awful lot of time on this blog lamenting about diabetes, so my apologies for the lack of positivity right now. Diabetes means lots of hard choices, and I'm absolutely sure this won't be the last.

No comments:
Post a Comment