Monday, May 4, 2009

One year ago

It's hard to believe that it's already been a year since I came back from Venice.  Technically I left on the morning of May 6, but I won't be able to post about this tomorrow, and have little to say about that last ride across the lagoon to the airport.

One year ago today, I took this picture in the garden of the Ca' Rezzonico:
My camera died near the end of my trip.  I didn't take too many pictures my last few days.  That is especially sad since we had a grand Cinco de Mayo party at our apartment the night before I left, with almost all of my Venice friends in attendance.Here's a shot from the pseudo-campanile of SS. Giovanni e Paolo.  A trek through the bowels of the church and up to the dome was a highlight of my last couple of weeks.
So was this lovely trip to Chioggia, with my favorite Venice friends.  That was an evening to remember, with the biggest skillet I've ever seen placed in front of the five of us.

But maybe my favorite day of my entire spring in Venice was a Sunday afternoon in late April, spent on the island of Vignole.  John (my roommate) took us out to the island in shifts in his lovely boat.

Manuel, John, and Leslie.  Little bit of Venice in the background.
And here's my Venetian family: Heather (my other roommate), John, and me.  With ribs and polenta.  It was a glorious day spent with friends on one of the most beautiful spring days.  What a place to spend a semester, and what great people to spend it with!  I miss Venice, and my people there.  Here's hoping to a reunion in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers