Please pardon the construction around here. I'm just playing around with Blogger's new design options since this place hasn't had a facelift since I began it over a year ago.
Anyhow, I have a question for anyone reading that has any experience with insulin pumps. I mentioned here that I've been thinking about getting an insulin pump. I have an endo appointment in about two weeks and I'm planning on bringing it up then. My question is, should I contact my insurance company ahead of time to see if this is something they would cover? I've read through my benefits, and while they cover diabetic supplies, it's unclear to me exactly what the limits to that are. I have pretty good insurance right now that has paid for a lot so far. I'm wondering what other PWD experiences have been with this. Is it more likely that I'll be turned down if I don't find out ahead of time if they cover it? I know I can make appeals to their decisions, but I want to make this transition as smooth as possible if my doctor agrees that it's the right choice for me. I'd appreciate any advice on this front. I have a feeling the pump might be a bit easier to get covered than a CGM. Any corrections or modifications to my assumptions?
Thanks ahead of time!
I'm no expert on the matter, but I can tell you from the experience I have had as an assistant manager at a Walgreens, it is always better to check ahead of time with your insurance company to make sure that it is covered. It is just a simple phone call that will save you a lot of headaches- I have seen numerous customers pull their hair out thinking that something *should* have been covered and it wasn't, and then having to shell out the money out of pocket (money that they really couldn't afford to spend).
ReplyDeleteI agree that checking ahead of time couldn't hurt. But I don't think it's too difficult to get a pump covered - I think it's just the CGMs that can be tough sometimes. When I went on the pump, I never contacted my insurance company at all. Minimed took care of it all for me. But like I said, it certainly couldn't hurt to call and ask!
ReplyDelete