I've had it on my to-do list all week to create an overall plan for my dissertation, to chart out what I want to research when, to schedule writing time even now, and to set goals and deadlines so that I can more tangibly measure my progress.
But it's a really big and scary thing. I have to research and write a book-length study on a completely original topic. I'm madly in love with the topic I've chosen, but that doesn't make the next two years any less daunting. It's so big that sometimes it's hard to get anything done at all.
I decided that in order to tackle this monster, I needed some ideas for organizational strategies. I did something similar when I was studying for exams, asking everyone who had been in that position what they had done. In the end, I sort of synthesized recommendations and made my own system. I'm sure I'll do something similar with organizing everything for my dissy, but I need some ideas first.
I normally would ask someone who is in my program, but nearly everyone who has completed his or her dissertation is long gone. They don't exactly hang around the department after they've graduated. For this, I've turned to my other reliable friends: books.
Here are two that I checked out from the library today:

I've read a fair chunk of this one already. It's been helpful in reminding me to schedule time for actual writing and has offered strategies for doing so. Yes, I still have LOADS of research to do before I can write the bulk of the dissy, but I still need to keep my writing skills sharp. Plus, I need to be consistent in recording my ideas.

I've read a fair chunk of this one already. It's been helpful in reminding me to schedule time for actual writing and has offered strategies for doing so. Yes, I still have LOADS of research to do before I can write the bulk of the dissy, but I still need to keep my writing skills sharp. Plus, I need to be consistent in recording my ideas.I had to request this one from another library:


Sounds like a dream, right? There are no promises that you can do it all in fifteen minutes a day, but this is another book about strategies to overcoming that overwhelming feeling that goes along with completing such a massive project.
I started thinking about all of this today as I was reading The Clockwork Muse. Is this attempt at helping me get going with planning my dissy actually a well-disguised form of procrastination? Or will taking the time to read these now actually save me from flailing around and wasting my time with unproductive strategies?
I'm leaning towards the latter here. I do think that culling ideas from those who have come before me will ultimately help me develop a strategy that works best for me. I just have to remind myself that I must start working. Stop reading. Plan. Research. Write. Get it done. I'm giving myself two years to get it all done. But maybe I can start Monday? My brain's a little mushy from all of this heat, a new schedule with classes starting up, teaching again, Nick alternatively working at home and at the office, etc. etc. etc.
I've got to stop making excuses and get back to work. Two years is plenty of time to scale this mountain, but it will be more difficult if I dawdle down here at the base for awhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment