Well, last night was exciting. And not in a good way.
As I've alluded to here before, I've been having some issues in the evening and overnight. Dinner causes a gradual rise that won't ever stop, no matter the insulin I throw at it, and then my overnight basal rates just don't keep me where I need to be. I typically wake up in the 120s or 130s, not the prettiest place to start the day.
So last night I got aggressive, and diabetes being what it is led to some unfun results.
On my walk home from the train station yesterday, I went low. So I treated, and then got hungry. I had a snack, which left me up in the 200s before dinner. Gross. I modified my insulin to carb ratio just before dinner (again) to take on the delicious pumpkin gnocchi that Nick had picked up. While I didn't have a spike or a gradual rise, my glucose levels were dancing above 200 all night. Seriously, dancing. Up and down, little by little.
It was time for a site change anyway, so I put in a new pump site and did a correction. And since I think my insulin sensitivity isn't right either, I cranked up the insulin manually. I've done this before with no adverse results. I also set my temp basal to 200%. I'd also done this the night before with really no change in my morning numbers.
Apparently my new site is awesome. And so is Nick for waking me up when he got home late last night.
Usually when he comes in late after volleyball, I sort of roll over but don't really wake up. For some reason last night, I woke up more than normal. I looked at my pump and cleared a high alarm out. Frustrated, I decided to test (not noticing when exactly that high alarm had gone off). 55. What?? I didn't feel low AT ALL. I looked at my CGM graph and saw that I had in fact come coasting down from my 200+ numbers. So I grabbed my handy Mott's for Tots and chugged away.

I was still awake 15 minutes later, still nary a low symptom in sight, so I retested. 49. What?? Re-retest, 55. So I hopped out of bed and grabbed some glucose tablets. I chomped away and left them by the bed. 15 minutes later, I tested again and saw an 84. Better, but still strange. Usually 4 glucose tabs shoots me up about 60 points in 15 minutes. I ate another, cancelled my temp basal, and decided to go back to sleep.
When I woke up this morning, my CGM told a very interesting story. Shortly after falling asleep, I spiked up to almost 200. When I woke up, it had me steady around 110. Testing showed that I was, in fact, at 124.
In the middle of all of this, I was convinced that Nick had saved my life by coming home when he did. Perhaps that's a tad dramatic, but I never felt any symptoms of that persistent low. This is usually never an issue with me. And I haven't had a low overnight in months. I can't even remember the last one.
So, apparently I have a very happy site right now. I guess I need to keep my twitchy bolus finger in check and figure out some other way to make things right overnight.
Yikes!! Glad you are alright!
ReplyDeleteoh how scary and FRUSTRATING. i hope you're able to figure it out, J!
ReplyDelete