It's funny, I travel fairly often, and yet I never create a single, standard packing list. I've thought about doing this, especially in terms of diabetes supplies, but there are so many variables involved! I try to be a light packer, but ever since I've been a D-Queen, it is virtually impossible. Maybe I should take a hint from Nat Strand and figure out Diabetes Minimalism.
I always put my d supplies at the beginning of my packing list. I stand in front of my supplies cabinet and write down everything I can think of. I have to think about going through security and just how prepared I should be, with prescriptions, doctor's notes, pump and CGM manuals, etc. Then there is glucagon, all of my pump supplies, back-up batteries, a smallish sharps container, extra adhesives, back-up insulin pens, needle tips, alcohol swabs. Inserters, sensor charger. And glucose tabs.
I've been thinking for the past few weeks about how many glucose tabs I should take with me. Last time I was in Rome, I was on a single shot of Lantus every day (not the best treatment plan, I know, but that was shortly after diagnosis). With all of the walking I did (I'd say I averaged about 7 miles a day), lows were frequent. Now with my pump, I can adjust my basal rates but still, almost every single time I exercise, I still go low. I haven't quite gotten my settings down just right. I anticipate having maybe twice as many lows as normal, so I will be bringing along at least two bottles of glucose tabs.
Fortunately, I'm traveling with a friend. I can train her to use glucagon and I think I'll be asking her to carry some back-up glucose tabs in her bag, in case my purse is stolen or for any other possible problems. Plus, I always carry snacks. I'm planning ahead so that any situation won't find me unprepared.
And it should be a great trip! I think my dear friend, Aleta, and I will have a fantastic time. She's never been, so I'll get to play tour guide. Plus, it's my last trip to the city before I become a resident in only four months!
So, back to the to-do list. Seven days until I'm on a plane to Rome!
I hope you have a fabulous time! I have a packing list that I have saved for anytime I travel. I think it's really helpful! Just create one and save it on you computer.
ReplyDeleteI will be your d-lady in waiting.
ReplyDelete