1. Those nights where my CGM wakes me up several times for no reason at all.
2. The inability to travel light. My diabetes supplies take up the vast majority of my carry-on bag.
3. When lows take away your ability to behave normally. This happened recently in Rome. While walking with two friends to go to dinner, I had to stop to recover from the shakiness of a low.
4. Contending with diabetes myths or those who think they "get" the disease because they know someone who has it.
5. On a related note, hearing about their grandma's friend/great aunt/second cousin who lost her foot/feet/eyesight/life to the disease. Don't worry, I think enough about the complications on my own.
6. That I've had to change some of my future plans. Of course, this has a lot to do with personal choice. I'm being slightly vague here. Let's just say that our family will be smaller than what had sometimes crossed my mind.
7. The hours spent waiting at doctors' offices, labs, on the phone with the insurance company, at the pharmacy, ordering supplies online, entering data online, etc.
8. The pain caused to my family and friends. They only show this to me on occasion, but I hate that diabetes makes them worry about me.
9. My CGM and, to a lesser extent, my pump have left all sorts of ugliness all over my torso. We've got an upcoming trip to Mexico where I intend to be wearing a bikini the majority of the time. I've got plenty of unhealed sites that just aren't pretty.
10. Too. Much. Thinking. Calculating. Worrying. Guessing. Balancing. Every single day.
I better stop there. I feel like a whiny pants, but sometimes it's nice to be able to vent a bit. Thanks for the opportunity, Karen!
No comments:
Post a Comment