Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Three

We interrupt this already interrupted series of Diabetes Blog Week posts to commemorate a special day in our life :)
-------------------------------------------------


Three years married. It's amazing how much can change in three years. We promised to be there for each other, to love one another, to be faithful, to be each other's champion, to be ultimate partners, whether things are easy or tough.

And when I think about what that has meant, what life has thrown our way, I know that Nick is the only person who I could or would share this life with. Looking back, I'd say the first year was the one with the fewest obstacles. Sure, we had difficult times as we learned how to navigate life together. Yes, we made one of the biggest financial decisions of our life as we bought our first home.

But year two was a doozy. I was diagnosed with a chronic illness, one that impacts every single day of our life. Only six weeks later, Nick lost his job. But everything was fine. Sure, these events added stress, but we weathered it and came through it together.

And then year three. I applied for lots of grants and fellowships, hoping to get a year's worth of funding, knowing it would mean time apart from each other. But Nick remained my biggest supporter, pushing me to succeed, encouraging my love for my work. And then, the offer came to relocate to Rome for two years.

And he was more excited than I was. He was prouder and more eager for this huge change than I was. He convinced me that it would all be worth it.

And what would I do without him? How am I so lucky that he is the one by my side?

I am so proud to be his wife. And every year that passes just cements our bond even more. I thought that we were close and committed when we got married, but I'm convinced that the longer I call him my husband, the stronger our relationship is. The more respect we have for each other. Loving him is just a part of what it means to be myself.

Happy Anniversary to my incredible partner. Thank you for sharing this life with me.

1 comment:

Followers