Friday, June 10, 2011

Pump contingencies in paradise

In just about 24 hours, I'll be boarding a plane to Cabo!I am SO SO SO excited for this trip. The beach is one of the only places I truly relax. Fortunately, Nick knows me well and we've done a number of beach vacations as a couple: Hawaii, Antigua, San Diego, the Jersey Shore :) Basking in the sun, slathered in SPF 50 (at least), reading a book, drinking something cold, jumping in the pool every once in awhile is my dream vacation. I can't believe it's here!

But, being on the beach/by the pool/and in 90 degree heat practically nonstop requires some planning if you are on an insulin pump. I've been trying to game plan for every situation, trying to think of all possible contingencies.

Unfortunately, I didn't plan far enough in advance. If I had, I could have gotten a travel loaner pump as a backup. Whoops!

I'll be taking my backup pens and needle tips, plus plenty of extra supplies in case sites go bad or my insulin gets skunky in my reservoir.

My beach/pool plan is to constantly have a cooler with me. I'll have some plastic baggies, we'll have some gel ice packs, and I'll be able to toss my pump in there while I enjoy the heat. I'll hook up on occasion to deliver my basal via bolus (my basal rates are pretty darn low, so this isn't dangerous for me), but for the most part I'm interested in protecting my insulin and device.

Whenever we're away from the resort, I plan on carrying my Frio Cooling Wallet, just so I have something that will keep my insulin at a lower temperature.

I'm also planning on getting a massage (!!!!) while I'm on vacation, which is a typical Nick and Jasmine behavior. I started doing some research yesterday on what this would mean for my diabetic body. I saw people doing it both ways: staying connected and keeping the pump right by the body OR disconnecting for the hour. I'm not sure which I'll do yet. I suppose it will depend on my current numbers, my insulin on board, and what I feel like doing the day that happens. I'm glad I looked into this, though, because the majority of what I found online said to anticipate a drop in my numbers due to the massage. I'll make sure I'm at a good number ahead of time and keep my glucose tabs handy.

We're also taking a deep-sea fishing trip one morning. I'm hoping to wrangle in an amberjack myself (YUM). While on board, we'll have the cooler with us. I'll be keeping my pump extra secured to my body while it's connected, and I'll be sure to bring the glucagon with me for this excursion. Last time we went fishing in Hawaii, I had no seasickness issues until I popped into the cabin to use the restroom. I was able to keep down my breakfast in the end, but you never know. I don't want to be stuck on a boat with crashing blood sugars.

I think I've thought of nearly everything at this point! Of course, I'm sure diabetes will prove me wrong as it always does and I'll have some sort of stressful situation.

But I won't let it ruin my vacation! Ahhhhh, here's to relaxation with my favorite person and some great friends!

1 comment:

Followers