Thursday, September 22, 2011

Catching up

Just a quick post to note that both Nick and I are still alive, although we are STILL without internet at home.  Oh, Italy.  You are SO Italian.  Apparently, the internet bill is in our landlord's cousin's name. She is currently abroad in Australia and did not pay the bill.  So, he paid it.  But it just isn't that simple here, to just come back on once the bill is paid.  Poor Nick.  At least I get to check my email when I go to work!

It's been another busy week.  I spent the last three days at the Vatican Library where I did have internet, but felt guilty for using it too much and to do anything besides check email quickly.  You never know who is sitting behind you and can see you checking facebook instead of reading the manuscript sitting open in front of you.

I've been looking at all sorts of interesting things, some relevant to my project and some less than.  It's been a challenge to acclimate my eyes to writing like this:
This is not a document I've looked at, just something you find when you google "paleography"
It's a challenge, but I'm hoping it will get easier.  I took a course on paleography a couple of years ago and am so grateful that I did!  It doesn't make my reading abilities perfect, but I at least understand common symbols and have several strategies for trying to decipher the more illegible parts.

We are making sure that we have plenty of fun on the weekends.  We visited one of the churches on the Forum on Saturday, one that I had not yet been to.  Nick acted as my photographer, taking over 300 pictures for me to study from.  Then on Sunday, we packed a picnic and spent a few hours at the Villa Borghese.

We are also really enjoying being a part of the choir we joined, despite the fact that the rehearsals are FAR from where we live.  We have to take 2+ buses, one of which we stay on for at least 40 minutes.  But, it's been an excellent chance to practice Italian and still get to sing, which is such an important part of our lives.

This weekend, all of the civic museums are open for free, all around Italy.  I'm sure we'll take advantage of that, avoiding the pricy tickets while seeing some of the best collections in the city.

Hopefully we will be back to normal in the very near future, with more posts on Nick's blog and a bit more action here as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers