Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Spoke too soon...

Dear Diabetes,

I wasn't aware that you read my blog!  Yesterday, I wrote the following:

"The lows could be sneaking up on me in the night rather than right before lunch or bed....None of these things are happening, and so I'm grateful for that."

And last night, you treated me to my first middle of the night low in a LONG time.  Thank goodness for all of that water I chugged after getting home late from choir practice.  If I hadn't needed to use the restroom, would I have woken up?

And you, CGM, would you please do your job?  I thought we were in this together, you alerting me to those evil hypo excursions.  You said I never got below 75.  Liar.

My 2 am bathroom trip was a little more wobbly than I expected.  I realized I was low, so I ate several glucose tabs like it was my job.  Only then did I decide to test: 49.  EEP!  Should I wake Nick up?  Then the shaking got really bad.  I ate a few more tabs, then sought out more in the kitchen.  Two bites of nutella....overtreating?  Yes.  Did it make me confident that I would get out of that hypo and could go back to sleep safely.  Definitely.

Sure, diabetes, I spiked back up, but I was only in the 120s when I woke up.

Lesson learned: no writing on the blog like I've got this thing figured out, or rejoicing in what's NOT happening.  I didn't know you had internet access.

Yours (though I wish I wasn't),
Jasmine

2 comments:

  1. This made me smile - so witty :)

    Thanks for the lovely blog comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always have to look at that positive side...Nutella!

    ReplyDelete

Followers