Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A quick recap and recommended reading

Last night, I typed up a brief post about our first few days here....and then my slow internet failed me and I lost the whole thing!  I was too frustrated to attempt to write it again last night, so I'll try to sum it up in bullet points.


  • I have some serious competition with my blog, courtesy of my very own husband!  Our situations being what they are, he has far more time to dedicate to recapping our adventures here in Italy, so I encourage you to check out his blog Just Vasgo.  His writing is really fun.  He doesn't post pictures of us, but does talk about the sites and the FOOD!
  • I had my first Italian low while we were on a day trip to Todi.  Todi is one of many medieval hilltop towns in Umbria.  We climbed lots of stairs and hills, so my numbers jumped over 200 points (downward) in less than 2 hours.  I was a bit high to start, due to a breakfast of pastry with nutella, and the correction + walking = a low in a lovely meat and pasta shop.  Nick wrapped up our purchases while I found a place to sit down, test, and eat glucose tabs and a snack.  Since we had more walking to do, Nick found us a Fanta, and I chugged at least 1/3 of it.  I rebounded a bit higher than I would have liked to, but the low had me a bit scared.  Note to self: bring glucagon on day trips.
  • Yesterday was my first day at work!  I went to the library where I have an office for the first time and felt like it was my first day of school.  The facilities are much more extensive than I expected, and it really got me excited to start working.  Later in the afternoon, I also acquired a side job (don't tell my advisor...).  I'll be giving tours for a really cool company a couple times a month, just to add to our minimal cash flow a bit.
  • Today, I am NOT working, because it's our first official Italian strike!  No transit is running, so we're exploring our neighborhood today.  Should be fun!
I promise some pictures next time around.  For now, off to the park for a stroll and a picnic!

2 comments:

  1. i am so happy that you and nick are providing so many updates - i want to see pics of your apt! and work space! :) and your pretty face!! missing you lots, excited to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you want apartment pics Sarah? you got it! I'll put them up on my blog just VASGO sometime soon. Just have to work out the perfect angle to take a picture of the bidet in our bathroom. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers