Friday, September 2, 2011

Siamo qui!

We've now been in Rome for a couple of days and we are still working on settling in and getting adjusted.  Our travel was pretty uneventful (thank goodness!) and the cats even arrived unscathed and more eager to explore a new place than I've ever seen them.

It's funny, since this is my fifth trip to Rome and I know that I'm going to be here for two years, I haven't been taking very many pictures.  Fortunately, Nick has been better about it, and I'm sure I'll post some soon.

So far, diabetes is treating me pretty well.  I haven't had any stubborn highs and have yet to go low, despite all of the walking we're doing.  I've shown Nick some of the major sites, we got his cell phone (I already had one), our monthly transit passes, and we're good to go.  He's already feeling pretty comfortable with the navigation.

It is still quite hot here, and since we have no screens in the windows and curious kitties, it's a bit more stifling than we'd like.  I can't think of any other time in my life when I've slept with absolutely no covers.  Hopefully it will cool down soon.

My plan is to head to my library on Monday and get all of that figured out.  Then, there is a major strike planned for Tuesday, so I may end up taking that day off since it will be so difficult to move around and there are a few planned protests.

It still seems weird to think that I live here now.  I'm sure that feeling will pass soon.  My Italian skills are slowly coming back after a summer with little practice.  Nick's cell phone purchase was conducted entirely in Italian, and I only had to say I didn't understand twice.  I can't wait until it improves more.

For now, it's lunchtime!  And yes, I did happen to have my gelato first today :)

2 comments:

  1. I want to see pictures of your place!

    On your search for value wine - Try the DOC wine that's the lowest price you can find. It's the best. DOCG is the step below that but still great. IGT is higher quality than simple table wine. VDT is table wine with no ratings and you're rolling the dice on quality. Good luck in your search! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. argh! i really hope the weather cools down soon. and i'm so happy to hear you're all settling in nicely. i think you should take off on monday, since technically it's an american holiday and you should still observe labor day abroad ;)
    i can't wait to see pictures of your place and neighborhood! so proud of you for rocking the italian :) and lady? *i* still can't believe you live there! it's weird trying to think 7 hours ahead and trying to picture your amazing new surroundings!

    ReplyDelete

Followers