Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Goodbye 2013

What a year!!  I abandoned my blog for a decent chunk of it, but I had some pretty good excuses: wrapping up research in Rome, doing some traveling in Europe, moving back to the US, teaching, applying for everything, and spending the last 17 weeks growing a tiny human.  Phew!

So how was 2013?  Not too shabby!

January: Aside from normal work, we took a day trip to Cerveteri and spent a few days in Berlin with Nick's sister:

February: My first publication came out early in the month and I worked, worked, worked.  The only photos I have are from the Chinese New Year celebration in Rome:

March: We had some visitors to Rome, including my sneaky family!  Nick and I also spent a weekend in Naples, which we absolutely loved, and took a day trip to Assisi:

April: We had a few more visitors this month, took a day trip to Ladispoli for the best food festival I've ever been too (artichokes!!), and I kept working....

May: We took a day trip to Bracciano, I did a few incredible site visits in Rome, Nick's parents came to visit, which included a trip to San Marino and Bologna, and we celebrated our fifth anniversary on a cruise that included stops in Marseilles, Palma de Mallorca, and Barcelona:

June: Lots of visitors to Rome, a day trip to Paestum, I popped off to London with my aunt and cousin for a few days, and we spent a weekend in Milan and Como:

July: Our last set of visitors came, we saw Muse in concert, I began teaching an online course, we said goodbye to lots of friends leaving Rome, and we even had an oyster night:

August: We started saying goodbye to our friends in Rome, I turned 30 (!), we took day trips to Frascati and Sperlonga, and then we flew back to the States:

September: Life in Philly restarted, we caught up seeing friends, I caught up with my medical team, I worked my tush off on teaching and applications, and on the last day of the month we found out about that little human I've been growing:

October: I went back to Rome for ten days, we took a trip to MO to see my side of the family, began telling our family and very close friends about the baby, and had our first doctors' appointments for the bambino:

November: I spent this entire month drowning in work, with teaching and LOTS of deadlines, and we cooked our normal American Thanksgiving dinner for the first time since 2010, this time with guests!

December: I wrapped up teaching for the semester, kept working on everything else, Nick started his new job, and we took a week-long trip to MO for Christmas:

And that's it!!  2014 will keep us plenty busy, with Nick continuing to work hard, me finishing my dissertation, defending, graduating, and then halfway through the year we'll become a family of three.  So much to work towards and so much to look forward to.  Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers