Monday, December 9, 2013

I can do it. I WILL do it.

The fall semester feels like it was a whirlwind of insanity.  With 4 job applications, 8 fellowship applications, a conference paper, a trip to Rome, a trip to MO, teaching two classes, and trying not to forget about my dissertation, I'm not sure how I'm still sitting here in one piece.

And then there is this other thing that's kept me a bit preoccupied: I'm pregnant!

I think I was 7 weeks along in this photo.  And we are happy!


I'm 14 weeks now, officially into my 2nd trimester, and we couldn't be more thrilled.  I've been really lucky that morning sickness has been nonexistent, because I'm not sure how people handle some of the miseries pregnancy can provide AND diabetes.  Seriously.  Sure, I was/am exhausted and I've had my fair share of indigestion, but for the most part being pregnant hasn't been that different than just being my normal self.

Except for the many doctor's visits.

And, of course, diabetes.

I knew I was pregnant really early on and so have been as vigilant as I can be with my BGs.  I hit the epic lows about 6 weeks ago and am still holding steady there, although I'm sure I will see a swing into insulin resistance soon enough.

For the first few weeks of my pregnancy, I was more stressed and anxious than anything.  Nick still hadn't found a job.  Our financial situation was looking bleak.  My work was (is) constantly stressing me out.  And let's talk about the trip to Rome.  No wine, no prosciutto, a teeny bit of gelato, one attempt at pizza (not so pretty) and a constant avoidance of pasta.  It was not easy.  And I was really ready to come home by the end of my trip.

Now things are much better with Nick gainfully employed, the money picture looking less scary, several good doctor's appointments, three ultrasounds, lots of blood draws, a very supportive high-risk OB, excited family and friends, and the fact that it is becoming more and more real physically (read: I'm on the verge of showing!).

Keeping my BGs in line has mostly been ok, with the greatest difficulty dealing with my CGM waking me up many, MANY, times each night as I dance over the low threshold.  I've had a couple of highs that were more stubborn than I'd like, but they came down eventually and I know that a few hours above my high threshold won't do any lasting damage (not to say that I didn't feel guilty...).  But I'm making it work, trying to behave myself even though my sweet tooth is on overdrive, and I've got an incredibly supportive partner who has been there for me through a couple of really scary lows.  And I know that all of this is worth it, and that I can do it.  Right?  I've got some really nice examples of that out there in the DOC.

We'll be meeting our baby sometime around June 8.  181 days to go, and a lifetime of love ahead.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!! I'm so very excited for you and your husband. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I've been reading your blog for a while now but never commented. I just had a baby about 5 months ago. I'm still a newbie at the T1, just 5 years now but the pump and CGM were amazing!! You absolutely can do!!!!!
    PS. I'm just outside of Philly :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers