- Grade 80 formal analysis papers
- Give one more lecture
- Give three separate finals
- Grade said finals (105 total)
- Attend one more class meeting of a grad seminar
- Read one more article for seminar
- Do one small assignment for seminar
- Attend a wrap-up lunch of another grad seminar
- Finish my dissertation proposal
- Get my advisor's approval on dissertation proposal
- Get my committee's approval on dissertation proposal
- Get the rest of the faculty's approval on dissertation proposal
- Submit proposal to the department
- Submit proposal to the Graduate School
Ugh, when listing it out like that, it looks very daunting. But I must make it through, find the motivation to do it, because this is what awaits me:

Last week, Nick and I did something very much out of character. We decided to cash in a good chunk of our frequent flier miles and take a trip to San Diego! I'm not sure I've ever needed a vacation so much in my life. This semester just about killed me, and it hasn't been so grand for Nick either. Too much teaching, health issues, sitting in on too many classes, not enough work done for my dissertation, trip to Italy and prepping my conference paper, and about a month ago Nick lost his job. We've had more stress than I think is anyone's fair share (perhaps I'm just feeling sorry for myself), so it's time to relax, enjoy the outdoors, and spending time with family. Nick's sister and her husband, one of his grandfathers, and two sets of aunts and uncles plus cousins live there. The last time we were there was November 2007, so we thought it was time to fix that.
Just a few things standing in the way. I've got to keep that mentality. I've got to focus and get this stuff done, even though I'd rather sit outside and read for fun or play on my computer, or really anything but work. We leave in ten days. I can do it!
Jasmine, so sorry to hear about Nick's job.
ReplyDeleteI should just print out this list and refer to it whenever I start bitching about my workload!
ReplyDeleteI'm very sorry to hear about Nick's job. :(
I think Ray would sympathize with Nick (not so much the job thing). Similar sort of crapiness for me and he's the one that's had to endure and be supportive. But, San Diego sounds more fun than our trip to Laramie.
ReplyDelete