Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Summer rut

It's only May 25. How can I be in a rut already??

But it's true. For some reason, my brain, my willpower, and my work ethic have all gone on hiatus. Maybe it was taking a vacation immediately after finishing for the semester. I just can't seem to get back into any sort of pattern or make myself get any work done. I work very well with deadlines and there are none of those in the near future. The first deadline I have is July 7 when my summer class begins and that is just so far off.

I have a to-do list of things to get done: around the house, for my class, research for my dissertation, etc. And yet.

Nick is getting more accomplished than I am! It's like Freaky Friday around here. Now, my husband is marvelous and while not exactly lazy, he does enjoy days where he gets nothing accomplished except watching a few movies. But he has recently become a garden/landscape scholar and has accomplished SO MUCH around our house. I do plan on blogging about this in the near future, so stay tuned for evidence of his efforts.

I need a plan. I made some progress on this today when I got my to-do list together with a calendar I can plan on, figuring out when I can get things done, for work and for the house. Apparently this free-form summer living just isn't for me. If I don't have the constant stress and pressure of the academic semester pinning me in place, I lose the will to get anything done. My goal for the night is to map out my summer. I must make this plan so that I can stop wasting my day bouncing between my email accounts, google reader, and facebook. I don't even really enjoy it, but I can't seem to make myself do anything else.

So that all is not lost in the racket of my whining, here's a picture of the two of us from yesterday. It was our second anniversary. I enjoyed every minute of that day with my favorite person. More on the events of yesterday in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Consider that you may have had too much on your plate before the end of the semester. You may need a bit of unstructured time. However, when you start feeling bored or in a rut, it's probably a good sign that you'll start becoming productive again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Followers