We are fortunate that our moment was a positive one, as life can throw a lot of mean curve balls.
I mentioned this in my blog post on Monday, but I know more now and I've had more time to process it.
In less than six months, I'll be moving to Rome for two years. TWO YEARS! I went from having very serious doubts about my future, whether I'd be in Rome for four months or maybe nine months, to re-strategizing my next two years in a matter of hours.
I'll admit, there have been some moments of serious doubt about how feasible this is, how willing I am to change my plans and goals for the next 2-3 years, how Nick and I could possible make this work, but more than anything else we are EXCITED.
It's almost all I've thought about since, and Nick is feeling the same way. We are going to do everything we can to ensure that we both get to go, that we get to share this incredible experience, this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity before we get even more tied down (hello, mortgage!). But there are lots of obstacles and concerns: money, diabetes, insurance, money, income, house, pump supplies, finances, cash, test strips, insulin, healthcare, money.
But I think we're up for the adventure. Sure, Nick knows no Italian. It might be tricky to get him a visa. And a way to make money while we're there. I have to perfect both my Italian AND German between now and late August. Figure out how to get all I need to care for the 'betes. Make a game plan for my time there. We need to rent out our house! And find the right airline to take our kitties on a transatlantic flight!
There is so much to do and to think about, but we both think it will be worth it. In the meantime, we'll be preparing and pinching our pennies. Hoping for some miracles. Making hard decisions about our savings and investments. We'll figure it out, I know we will. And it will be worth the sacrifices we'll have to make, so we can do this together.
it will indeed be worth it - congrats again, i say! i am so excited to hear more...
ReplyDelete