Monday, March 21, 2011

Professional Pumper

As I prepare to leave for Montreal on Wednesday, I'm getting all of my outfits chosen for the conference. Even though I've been this smaller size for over a year, I still don't really have any nice pants that fit me, and I must look professional at this conference. Soooooo, I'm packing dresses.

But I'm having some issues with my pump. I've work dresses before, plenty of times since I started pumping in September. Usually I clip it into my bra.

This almost never goes well. Sure, it stays in place, but inevitable it starts vibrating at me that the signal is too weak for the CGM to function properly. Or I need to bolus. And then I have to reach my hand down my dress and fumble around until I can get my pump out.

It's almost never easy. The clip catches the fabric. But I have to clip it because otherwise it slips down my torso.

And there's something that's not so professional about reaching down your dress anyway. I know that certain accessories exist that would make things easier. There's a leg cuff that I've been meaning to buy for ages. I just haven't done it yet.

So as I was trying on my BIG PRESENTATION dress, I thought I'd see if the Ace bandage we have (for the knee) might just fit around my thigh. Miracle of miracles, it did, although it was quite tight. This provides a rudimentary solution. The way my dress is cut, the pump is visible against my leg. I can put it on the back of my leg, I suppose, but then I'd have to move it when I sit down. And then when I need to access it I'll have to stick my hand UP my dress instead of down.

Are there some other options out there that I'm not thinking of? I don't especially like it clipped under my armpit. Too uncomfortable.

At this point, I'm packing my Ace bandage and trying to stay flexible. I'm just hoping that my chest doesn't start vibrating as I'm meeting some of the most important people in my field...

3 comments:

  1. i almost always wear dresses, and always have my pump clipped to my underwear, or strapped to my thigh with a leg support - depending on the length of dress. i just make sure to pick dresses which aren't tight around the bottom half, or else it's uncomfortable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is something i never would have thought of. sheesh! i hope you are able to find a good solution. and good luck at the conference!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's notably more difficult at a conference... For important meetings/interviews, I will turn off my sensor alarms for 2 hours or so, so Buddy can stay tucked into my bra - undetected - until I can excuse myself to deal with him... I've tried the leg thing and wasn't a fan (it kept slipping down). I've recently taken to buying skirts with pockets -thank you newer trend - but that doesn't help your current dilemma...The first person I ever knew on a pump clipped her's onto/into her knee high boots. I never figured out exactly how that worked, but she loved it... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Followers