First, I've gotten my first donations! I set a goal of $500, and I'm well on my way thanks to the donations of two good friends. My dear friend Eric from Colorado was my first donor. After sending out an email to most of my email address book, one of my old professors from my undergraduate university, to whom I'm still quite close, also generously gave. It really helped me to see that I can absolutely reach my goal, and hopefully surpass it!
Second, my best friend Sarah has made a grand gesture to demonstrate just how incredible a friend she is. After reading my first post about JDRF, she decided to come visit me in Philly that weekend and join Team Silver-Lined! Further demonstrating her level of awesome, she already surpassed her fundraising goal. Absolutely incredible! I knew Sarah was an excellent best friend (duh), but this latest move has just touched me in a way that I cannot adequately express. She not only is coming to visit, but she's reaching out and being a part of my diabetes support team in a truly special way. Not only is she helping me, but she's helping millions of other Type 1s out there. She's just incredible.
Also, my dear friend Ashley, who has made a number of appearances in pictures from my blog, has also surpassed her fundraising goal! In a matter of days, she met and passed her goal and is still actively seeking support. Another absolutely incredible friend.
Don't get me wrong, I do not measure friendship only on how much money you can raise for my charity of choice, but I am in a way taking their actions personally. In forming this team, I didn't expect to feel so personally engaged with it. But every time they post their fundraising pages on Facebook or send out an email to their friends and family seeking support, I am touched by their active help with something I care about, with something that could potentially change my life.
Neither JDRF nor Team Silver-Lined is all about me. I am one of millions who need a cure. Nevertheless, it's been an incredible opportunity - already - to feel this love from my friends. I can never really know the impact this disease has on the people close to me, but I'm so impressed and honored by the impact they will have on the search for a cure.
so well written, friend.
ReplyDeletei would do ANYTHING if it meant you didn't have to be the d-queen anymore!! love you to pieces.
Cool! I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I've never participated in a JDRF walk. I got sooooo close a few years ago, but then became overwhelmed with all the stuff that went into it.
ReplyDeleteKeep us updated!