Thursday, September 9, 2010

D-Meme

Meme! I've seen this on a few Dblogs now, so I thought I'd join in the fun. Besides, this is way better than filling in endless text boxes of these online applications for grants/fellowships.

What type of diabetes do you have:
Type 1 (Juvenile)

When were you diagnosed: February 4, 2010. I was not so juvenile.

What's your current blood sugar: Fasting this morning was a 91. Yay!

What kind of meter do you use: FreeStyle Freedom Lite

How many times a day do you test your blood sugar: 3-4. I would LOVE to test more, but my insurance company likes to keep things real. It is awesome in many ways, but they're a bit stingy with the test strips.

What's a "high" number for you: I always get a twinge of disappointment if it's over 140, but I start feeling really upset if it's over 160.

What's do you consider "low": anything below 70

What's your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater: Favorite? I don't experiment enough with this. If I'm home, I'll glug some juice. If I'm not, I generally stick with glucose tabs.

Describe your dream endo: Empathetic, a good listener, supportive but firm, makes me feel like I'm not rushed out the door or asking dumb questions

What's your biggest diabetes achievement: Getting it under control as quickly as I did. When I was diagnosed, my A1C was 12.5. By early June (4 months later) my A1C was 5.7. I'm sure someday I will see greater achievements than this, but I don't have a lot to measure against since I've only been a D-Queen for 7 months.

What's your biggest diabetes-related fear: Most of the potential complications freak me out a bit (nobody likes a blind art historian), but I'm also quite trepidatious about pregnancy. Our family planning goals have changed a bit since my diagnosis. Most women worry about making sure they incubate a healthy baby, but there are many scary problems for women with Type 1. It won't stop me from having a family, but it does cause me a lot of worry.

Who's on your support team: Moi. Also Nick, my family, my kitties, and friends who don't mind me shooting up at the dinner table or joining my JDRF team!

Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime: Hm. Not sure. Every time I see my endo, she says something about curing me soon, but I'm also a realist. I'm not holding out for this, but I anticipate serious developments in care and treatment.

What is a "cure" to you: Something that involves no more injecting insulin into my body and that maintains my blood sugar like a regular human. I liked Kerri's idea of an artificial pancreas.

The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes is: "Are you ok??" - said when they see me testing my blood sugar or giving myself an injection. "I had a friend with diabetes, and everything was fine!/she had her foot amputated!" - Either of these annoy me. It's an attempt at empathy, but most of the time I just don't know what to say in response.

What is the most common misconception about diabetes: That I only have to watch my sugar intake. This is the most common thing I counter on a regular basis. Or that because I use a range of devices to help me maintain good control that I must be "having trouble" or not feeling well. Those things make me feel better! They are not a punishment or an intervention by my doctor because I am unwell.

If you could say one thing to your pancreas, what would it be: WAKE UP! What did you do to invoke so much wrath from my immune system?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers