Friday, September 10, 2010

Sisters

I have a really big family, including five sisters and a brother. They all live in southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas. That is far away from me.

I love all of my siblings and miss them like crazy. I do have one sibling who I'm very, very close to: my sister, Rhiannon. I'm closer in age to her than to any other of my siblings.
Growing up, Rhiannon and I were mortal enemies. Sure, we got along occasionally, especially when it was time to make up something for dinner, discussing our love for New Kids on the Block, playing with our Jem dolls, or putting on song and dance performances for our family.

But most of the time we were at each other's throats. We fought, verbally and physically. As we got older, we would steal each other's clothes and wear them without asking. We did a lot more clashing. After she graduated from high school and eventually moved out of our parents' house, we weren't very close at all.

Then I left for college. We started talking a bit more on the phone. Then she had a baby, and we started talking and seeing each other more. Then I graduated and moved to Colorado to get my Master's. It seemed that the further away I moved, the closer we became, as strange as that might sound.
Besides Nick, Rhiannon is the person that I can be the most myself with. If she calls and I'm busy or having a bad day, she doesn't hold it against me. I can tell her anything with complete honesty and she doesn't get offended or judge me, and the same is true for her.

She has become my best friend. And sometimes I think she's my soul mate. I just don't think I could do without her. We talk on the phone almost every day. We encourage each other. We make each other laugh. We cry to each other. We miss each other desperately.

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes and was really worried about what was wrong with me, Nick and Rhiannon were the only people who knew. Rhiannon was the first phone call I made after I left the doctor's office. She wants to know everything about my disease and is always worried about me, wondering how I'm doing and feeling all the time.

She started hinting last week that I should be expecting a package in the mail. That she had bought something for me. And it was a surprise. Yesterday I got it and found this:
I've been meaning to get a medical ID bracelet for a long time, but I was having trouble finding something I liked, something I was willing to pay for, and something I would be willing to wear on a daily basis. She heard me talking about this, hemming and hawing over what to do, so she took matters into her own hands. She knew how important it was that I have one.

This one is perfect. Just like she is. Thanks, seester! I love you.

5 comments:

  1. You made me cry and made my day. Your description of our relationship is amazingly accurate and I do miss you deserately. I am glad you love the bracelet! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The transition in your relationship has been wonderful to watch! It's something I pray that will happen with others. Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwwwwww!! that sister of yours is incredibly thoughtful :) i am impressed! and reading posts like these make me wish i had a biological sister, too. i love my brother, don't get me wrong, but it's not the same, ya know? you're a lucky lady to have rhiannon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's awesome of her! Very nice bracelet, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you & Nini so much, but the two of you together when you were growing up was not fun to be around. I'm so happy to see how close you are now! You're both such beautiful women, inside and out. I'm proud of you both!! Love you, girls!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers