Last night was one of those nights. I went to a meet-up organized by Kerri and met lots of new people who speak my language. There are far too many people with diabetes, but there are very few in my life. And those in my life with diabetes are either Type II or I'm not very close to them.
But last night I got to meet other people like me. People who understand what living with this disease is all about, people who advocate for us and who find the levity in the daily struggles of diabetes.
I know that I'm not alone in this, but sometimes it can feel a bit isolating. A lot of people whom I love have learned lots about it, take an active interest in what it means for my life and my health, ask questions, show their concern, but there's nothing quite like being around someone who gets it on this level. I got to talk about insulin pumps, endos, CGMs, LADA, PWDs, A1Cs, and a whole slew of other acronyms. My friend Emily was with me and she described it as being immersed in another language or culture.
It was reinvigorating to meet these people, to see PWDs who have been living with this for years, who had good advice and stories, who cared about me without even really knowing me because we have this thing that connects us.
So, I'm not alone. And I'm so grateful that last night I got to see that for myself.
Hey Jasmine! It was great meeting you last night (and being jealous of your super-low daily insulin dose, haha). I, too, always feel so at home whenever I hang out with someone who speaks my language. My husband sorta understands but not the same way as someone who actually LIVES with it understands. Hope to see you around!
ReplyDeleteYay, diabetes meet-ups are the best, aren't they? It's always so great to spend time with a bunch of people who really really get it. :)
ReplyDeleteaww, this is so wonderful, j. i hope you get to have many more meet-ups!
ReplyDelete