Monday, November 22, 2010

CGM so far

After a morning show of Harry Potter 7, Nick and I grabbed a quick lunch before I met up with my CDE for my CGM training! I've been looking forward to this for months. I LOVE data and the CGM gives me so much that I could look at it endlessly.

I had my first hiccup in the early hours of the morning today.
I first felt the thing vibrating at me (yes, I need to turn on the tone alarms overnight) around 6:30 am. Notice that 45 degree dive it did in the photo? I unclipped it from my pj pants and saw it giving me a low reading. I glanced through its history quickly and saw that this was actually my second alarm of the day, that about an hour earlier I had gotten an alarm for a reading of 56.

Funny thing was, I didn't feel low. At all. I have very rarely had an issue of hypoglycemia unawareness. Since the alarm was going to go off shortly, I decided to clear the alert and just lay there for awhile longer. It kept vibrating at me and I kept clearing it. Still no low symptoms at all.

Once I finally got myself out of bed about a half hour later, I tested. I saw a perfectly fine 106 staring back at my, showing me that my feelings were right, that those readings in the 60s were erroneous. I calibrated it, and thought we were on our way.

Then I got a calibration error. Since my training was only two days ago, I had it very clearly in mind that I did not want to get two calibration errors in a row or that sensor would be done. I recalibrated, this time around 115. Unfortunately for me, something went wrong and I got another error.

In my two previous times with the sensor (done before I had a pump to help determine my initial settings) I had issues with them. The first time, it got pulled out. The second, it only received data intermittently.

This time, I have no idea what went wrong. I fell short of the 3 day recommendation from Medtronic for the sensors and FAR short of the typical use of about a week from many of its users. My CDE told me it would be clear when the sensor was no longer working and that there was really no reason to replace it before it had died out on its own.

After I showered this morning, I replaced my sensor. I'm just going to try again. Hopefully I'll get a different result this time around. Still, I love the little graph on my pump. It's perfect for an information junkie like me.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes mine goes out of whack early on, but after another day or so it often gets scarily accurate!! Also, I think sometimes if I get a Cal Error twice, I've just restarted it as a brand new sensor and it started working again. Because it doesn't actually understand that it's the same sensor if you tell it that it's a new one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers