BUT! Inspiration has not run dry in all areas of my life.
The very last task in one's career as a doctoral student is to sit and pass an oral public defense of your dissertation. Today I attended one of these, of a senior student who shares the same advisor as I do, whose committee was nearly identical to my own.
And she was phenomenal. Her dissertation sounds so fascinating and like such an excellent product of years (YEARS!) of research and writing. The committee lauded her efforts and her results. They talked about next steps, various publications that would work from it. Of course, they also discussed various issues and means of improvement. But still. It was fabulous.
I walked out of there thrilled for her and excited (EXCITED!) about my own dissertation, about how I will find myself in that same situation in less than two years. It could be as short as 18 months from now. It might be longer.
It's been years in the making, but really it's not the much longer until I get to add Ph.D. after my name, to insist that everyone refer to me as Doctor :) Of course, there are several other steps for being successful in my field after graduation, but finishing and defending my dissertation will be such an incredible feat to achieve.
And this couldn't have happened at a better time. Now that today (TODAY!) I have sent off my last (LAST!) grant application, it's time to refocus my efforts and turn my attention back to my dissertation research. I've got a project that I am really excited about, that I think will be a great dissertation. Now, I just have to do it.
That's really encouraging! Love you!
ReplyDelete