Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I got in trouble

Yesterday I had my first appointment with my primary care physician since August. When I was first diagnosed, I was seeing her very regularly. I went to her office several days in a row for an insulin injection, before I was trained to do it myself. After that initial flurry of appointments, I started seeing her every three months. That is, until I got into the every three month pattern with my endo.

So last week I got a phone call from one of the practice's employees, the one who trained me on my meter and set me up with diabetes education. She said I needed to come in for an appointment, so I set one up. Then, I went to pick up one of my regular meds from the pharmacy, and it also had a note saying that I needed to come in for an appointment.

I was being hunted down by my PCP! Good thing I really like her. Otherwise I would have felt stalked!

It was sort of a catch-up appointment. She's happy with my blood pressure. I had blood drawn so she could check my cholesterol and am having my urine checked for protein and any muscle damage from my meds. I'll hear about those soon.

But she did get on to me a bit. Actually, it wasn't so much that I was in trouble as that my endo is in trouble.

Apparently the last thing she received from my endo was in April. No A1C levels, no mention of my Vitamin D deficiency (I take 2000 IUs a day, according to my endo's instructions), and she wants an update on my thyroid (I had an ultrasound my very first endo appointment, and no mention of it since) since there was a small spot on it. I also got my very first podiatry referral, to have my lovely diabetic feet examined, another yearly treat.

So when I go for my endo appointment next week, I need to bring these things up with her. I need to request all of my records be sent to my PCP's office. I need to ask her what her plan of action is for my thyroid.

This isn't a problem. It's just...I feel like I'm in the middle of a fight. Nobody is hostile, of course, but it seems like someone in my PCP's practice should call and ask for these things if they're missing, right? It sort of reminds me of passing messages between my divorced parents when I was younger.

I think my PCP is a bit more involved in my care than is typical (other PWDs? Is this true?). She was so incredibly involved and supportive at my diagnosis. I will do just about anything to keep her as my doctor while I'm living in Philly. She is so engaged with my health, and I truly appreciate that.

So, I'll be encouraging more communication between my docs. Maybe it would just be easier if I could see them both at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers