Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Progress report

This morning I spent almost three hours at my endo's office.

Yes, I said three hours. It is not my preference to spend that much time there, but all in all it was a pretty good appointment. There were high points and low points, plenty of waiting but also plenty of action plans made.

Getting up in time for my 8:30 appointment wasn't easy. See, I've been dealing with my second cold this month for the last several days, and sleep was so sweet last night. I coughed a bit less than the last several nights, so I slept better. I wasn't too pleased when my alarm went off. Especially when I sat there waiting for 45 minutes before being seen. That's why I like to make morning appointments, so I DON'T have to wait, but I suppose that doesn't always work.

I immediately arranged to have all of my labs, etc. sent to my PCP, as per her instructions, and then my CDE and I tackled some of my latest issues. First we looked at my A1C: 6.3. I had prepared myself for this, and I know this is still an excellent number, but I still wasn't a fan of that number raising 6/10ths over the last three months. Since I've been doing some tweaking of my insulin to carb ratios, I think things have already gotten better, but there is more work to be done.

So that's one of my upcoming tasks: play around with my dinner insulin to carb ratio. Even more important, however, was her suggestion to use my dual wave bolus feature for every dinner. My sensor shows a consistent rise in my glucose levels 3-4 hours after dinner, with the first two hours not so bad. I also need to do some basal testing overnight, because I almost never wake up under 115 these days, and it's usually in the 120s or 130s. Yuck. I also need to test my insulin sensitivity, as that seems to be off too.

This slow death of my pancreas keeps being annoying, even nearly a year after diagnosis.

One of my favorite things about my CDE is that she supports and enables my diabetes supplies hoarding habits. We talked a lot about my upcoming stays in Italy, especially that long one, and she's happy to help me hoard samples now so that I can just take lots with me when I go, rather than worrying about shipping insulin. Now I've got lots of backups in my butter compartment, and intend to keep adding to it.

I also saw my endo for a bit, and she did another ultrasound on my thyroid. I still have a nodule on one side, but she isn't concerned and my bloodwork shows no problems. We also talked a bit more about planning for pregnancy, since every appointment is a bit closer to that point on our timeline. But as of now, things look good with that front.

So, some good and some less than good. I've got a plan for the next three months to get my numbers even better. I'm not really beating myself up about the change to my A1C, but I have the support I need to reverse that trend.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really great appointment - except for the 45 minute wait to be seen. (Ugh, I hate that too!!) It is tough to feel less than happy with where you are at, but you have an action plan and are ready to work, and that's what counts!!

    Hope your cold is completely gone soon!

    ReplyDelete

Followers